From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike Jones
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 12:20 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Is it inefficient to have two unique keys where the second is redundant?

I hope, but I've not taken the time to verify, that a unique key could, in theory, be useful to the database engine, and therefore beneficial to performance, for READ operations as well.

If you request all rows that match a key, and that key is defined as unique, once the database engine finds one row matching the requested key, there should be no need for the database to attempt to find additional rows, because it is defined as unique.

Does it do that? I don't know. If it doesn't today, will it do that in the future? Potentially yes. So, even if it isn't smart enough to do that today, it might, and my guess is probably will, do that in the future.

Granted, that potential read benefit, should be weighed against the added overhead of unique key enforcement for row inserts and updates.

Mike

date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 12:45:54 +0000
from: Jonathan Wilson <piercing_male@xxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Is it inefficient to have two unique keys where the
second is redundant?