IBM SAVSYS/SAVOBJ/SAVLIB format tapes are unique to the iSeries. I don't think any other system can make any sense of them. Best thing about them is being able to SAVLIB and RSTOBJ from the same save.

Transferring data between systems you have to delve into standard tape labels (the iSeries SAV* formats are saved on tape in standard format with standard labels, but within that standard file is IBM's unique save structure). This means you have to use a CPYF to a tape device file. The system at the other end can read the file and do something with it.

Doing something with the file will most likely involve translating EBCDIC to ASCII. Files without packed fields are the easiest to deal with.

--Paul E Musselman

PS-- another neat thing about the IBM i is being able to save to a SAVF, then SAVSAVFDTA and copy the contents of the SAVF to tape as if the backup had originally been to tape! Due to some of the errors you can get with a SAVF I've always felt that a SAVF was pretty much a virtual tape device, and that SAVSAVFDTA was pretty much a straight copy.

.