Service Programs are DLL (Dynamic Link Load Libraries). The whole idea is
to encapsulate some form of service which is sounds like what you have
here. A program that provides services.

The primary advantages of a service program are:

1. You are calling procedures instead of making program calls. Procedures
are much, much faster than program calls. When you make a program call,
what is you get completely undetermined. It may require zoned fields but
you can pass it packed or character or anything else.
2. The biggest single value to a service program is that you have multiple
points of entry, you can expose multiple procedures. You break problems
down into small pieces. Their is only one point of entrance on a program.
If you want to have the program do multiple things, you have to overload
the parameters and pass control as to what you want the program to do.

So the question becomes, does the program provide multiple services, does
it have different functions? If it doesn't, it might not be worth
re-writing to make a service program but if you are working any new
applications, I would always use a service program.

The hard part for most people in using service programs is that they just
try to use a service program as a called program and design it that way but
that is not the way you design them.