Putty was something I hadn't considered. I use it regularly with our Linux boxes and I know vi works ok.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

-------- Original message --------
From: Jim Oberholtzer <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 5/4/17 8:38 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion' <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Who knew you could do that with DSPF?

All of this is assuming 5733OPS is loaded and PTFd.

True enough on the terminal type, that’s why I always use Putty with SSH.
It's faster to boot.

Someone commented on the system not being ready for SSH. "STRTCPSVR *SSHD"
will fix that, that's all that's normally needed.

Then start BASH and the command line and backspace and all that stuff works
much better. VI works "normally" in that environment.

I can argue that VI is awful too, however I'm looking at this in a different
way. We are trying to bring new blood into the fold. When I go to
customers and I show the network admin folks and the admins for the other
boxes that they can use the tools they know, they start to like IBM i. Even
Windows folks start to warm up to it when you show them Navigator for i.
Since most of the recent college grads I run into were taught in Linux, now
giving them a familiar interface to deal with makes the transition easier
and more natural for them.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects