On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 8:56 AM, Jim Oberholtzer
<midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
While I've used the DSPF/EDTF trick with the IFS, the entire thread I was
thinking, why not just start QSH or an SSH session and use that. VI is on
the system. In my way of thinking that's way easier.

For some people, trying to get as Unix-like a workflow as possible
probably is the best. For me, it's not. The i is the i. The vast
majority of the work I do on the i is in the QSYS.LIB side of the
system. Even my Python work is in the QSYS.LIB side. I actually don't
know if our i is even set up to accept SSH sessions, which is the only
realistic way to get a Unix-like workflow. The 5250 protocol is
inherently incapable of leveraging most of the interactive benefits of
Unix (never mind vi, just try to issue a basic command like 'more'),
and while you're within a QSH or QP2TERM session, you need to jump
through another hoop to issue a CL command. No thanks. I will include
QSH commands in a CLP from time to time, but I am almost never in an
interactive QSH session.

John Y.