On 19-Apr-2017 06:09 -0500, Rob Berendt wrote:
Thanks Chuck for the double dash note. I even changed my signature in
the past solely based on the double dash information. However, the
double dash is how they do quoting in Run SQL Scripts. Perhaps I need
to do links to code.midrange.com instead?

I still would do posting of relatively small amounts of SQL [and most any other languages] directly into messages; just being sure, that for any comment line [i.e. left-aligned double dashes, but also with a trailing space], that one of the following is ensured:
• there is a preceding space; Note: similarly I avoid left-aligned per the problem with NG/archival whereby a line starting with the word "from" will be prefixed with a ">", thus making the line appear as quoted-text instead of the original text that was posted -- and of course SQL often has a FROM that appears just so, for any SELECT query
• that there is *no trailing-space* after left-aligned double dash
• that there is *any character* following a space after left-aligned double dashes

FWiW: I avoid using the double dash in-line to messages for another reason. While those types of comments function well for Run SQL statements\scripts, they will not work for someone who might paste the query into STRSQL. Because I can not know which interface someone will use, just as I can not predict their language settings so I also will try to include a space after every comma, I will tend to use the slash asterisk form of commenting instead.

Does code.midrange.com expire?

A PITA IMO; not worth the effort when posting, and I expect few people tend to visit when reading a message [without overwhelming interest in the subject], so I feel even less incentive to do that when posting.

Does it show up on archive searches?

In my experience, those code snippets are found only when directing a search there specifically. Though my Google web searches have become seemingly worthless even there [site:code.midrange.com], for my ability to find stuff. But searches have become increasingly unlikely to find anything on the archives [site:archive.midrange.com] despite I am convinced the same searches worked well; before perhaps, 2016.?