In the document I linked to...at the bottom..talks about the problems of
cheap home printers...

Host-Based or Windows Only

The Host-Based column (formerly called the Windows Only column) shows if a
specific printer is a host-based printer. The term Windows Only printer means
that the printer was designed to be used only on a PC running a version of
Microsoft Windows and was also generally designed to be used in a home or
small office environment rather than in a networking environment. The
term host-based
printer expands this to refer to any printer that relies on the processing
power of the host computer to generate printable pages; for example, if the
host computer is running one of the versions of Microsoft Windows, Linux,
or Macintosh operating system. The term Windows Only printer is becoming
somewhat obsolete because newer printers that fit this category often come
with printer software and printer drivers that allow them to be used on
Apple Macintosh computers and PCs running one or more versions of the Linux
operating system. However, the term Windows Only printer will often
continue to be used to describe host-based printers.

Because they rely on the processing power of the host computer, host-based
printers do not need a powerful processor of their own and, therefore, they
tend to be less expensive than conventional printers. However, because they
share the computer's processor, they might be slow and might slow down
other tasks running on the computer. Host-based printers typically use a
proprietary printer data stream rather than an industry-standard printer
data stream such as IBM Proprinter Data Stream (PPDS), Epson ESC/P2, HP
Printer Control Language (PCL), or Adobe PostScript (PS).

Because they use a proprietary printer data stream, they do not work with
Host Print Transform (HPT) or a PC5250 Printer Definition Table (PDT) file.
Because they will not work with HPT, they also will not work to print
*AFPDS spooled files through the AFPDS-to-ASCII Transform code within HPT.
The only way to get a host-based printer to print IBM i family spooled
files is to attached it to a host computer and then use printer emulation
software, such as a PC5250 printer session, to print the spooled file
through the host-based printer driver.
​​

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 10:50 AM, Charles Wilt <charles.wilt@xxxxxxxxx>