No, it doesn't need to present a certificate. That would be absurd for
everyone that needed to use this relay to have to generate a client
certificate or figure out how to make something like a printer or scanner
present a certificate.

I agree that "present" is not the right term. Somehow this discussion
detoured into "client certificates" and how they might be used for
authentication. I didn't have anything to do with that.

What I did assert, was that it is common to use self-signed certificates
for TLS in mail-relay and web services. Google's mail relay is an example
of that.

As far as mechanics is concerned, a self-signed certificate may be
"assigned" to the IBM i SMTP Client. Without an "assigned" certificate,
Google will reject the TLS conversation.

When you set up the gmail relay to use TLS, that means the client should
expect to use a TLS connection and trust the certificate presented by the
server.

That's right. In addition to assigning a self-signed certificate to the
SMTP Client, you must also configure a "trust list", consisting of the
certificates presented by the server. Both steps are necessary.

BTW, how are you sending user/pw to this relay? I bet you're not.

You bet I'm not sending User+PW to the relay? You didn't read my last
message.

The User+Password is configured using the ADDSMTPLE TYPE(*HOSTAUTH)
command. And Yes, smtp-relay.gmail.com requires it for TLS.

Your elaborations about the IBM i SMTP Client not supporting that are not
worth responding to.