This Apache server does webservices. The first client tested was a .NET
app. It throws this error:
System.Net.WebException = {"The underlying connection was closed: Could
not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel."}

I really don't want to have to install the cert on every possible client
PC, so we're hoping to be able to force the clients to accept the cert,
in-code.

It appears to me that most, if not all web-service clients require all
certificates (whether CA-signed or self-signed) to be added to a local
store in order to implement SSL.

However, Windows bundles a number of CA certificates with the OS. You don't
need to import those. If you were to buy a certificate from a CA, and
import it into the IBM i DCM, you may still have to add it to each client's
local store - I'd be interested in hearing back, if otherwise.