"MIDRANGE-L" <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 02/24/2017
03:12:04 PM:
For those storing the source. How do you deal with the addition of
new fields (columns)? Since you have to use ALTER TABLE to add a
column, the source for adding a field to an existing file is
completely different from the original creation of the field at file
creation time. Do you save the original CREATE TABLE and all
subsequent ALTER TABLE commands in the script so you can recreate
the table if needed?

We store the source because we use change management. The DBA's
are also struggling with how they want to manage ALTERs, etc. The last I
heard they were going to store the ALTER's (in an SQLALTSRC source
physical file) and update the original CREATE (in an SQLTBLSRC source
physical file), too. I don't know where they are with it now.

But, there is also the issue of where do you add new columns to
existing tables. As programmers we are pushing for only adding new
columns to the end of the definition so that existing programs are
impacted as little as possible. The DBA's wanted to add them in
alphabetical order to keep things "nice" and "clean." <<shudder>>

Sincerely,

Dave Clark