On 2/23/17, 4:15 PM, Jerry Draper wrote:
I have had a chance to fool around with flash drives on a relatively new
IBM I. I had never seen them before.

Looking them up at IBM the chilling text reads "not a reliable backup
media". Hmmmmm!

We tried copying a bunch of libraries onto one (RMS02) using SAVLIB and
we did one too many.

Now the drive is inaccessible.

Anyone else use these things?

Are we talking thumb-drives? CF cards? I use CF cards not only to take digital pictures, but also to get files onto and off of my vintage 486 notebook all the time. And for any other "sneaker-netting" of files, I use thumb-drives.

I've never had a thumb-drive go bad on me, but I did have an off-brand CF card go really, really flaky. At which point I stopped buying CF cards that weren't SanDisk brand, and I stopped buying any flash devices online. There are a few other brands whose flash drives I trust.

(If I recall, when I made my own novelty thumb-drive [in the shape of a pocket-sized model of an IBM "Merlin" disk pack], I used a Verbatim thumb-drive, not because I particularly trust them [their 5 1/4" floppies had a bad reputation], but because they were the only ones with a small enough device to retract fully into the model; as it is, most USB ports are recessed deeply enough that I need an extension cord to plug the thing in!)

--
JHHL