Actually not scanning attachments is what could make IBM i a safe haven for viruses to live quietly until they are opened.

A developer could easily unintentionally or intentionally send a virus laden file from the IFS using a native program because no scanning occurs.

While the likelihood is low it is not an absolute guarantee.

Especially if you're simply using MSF to relay the mail.

No scanning during email creation and no scanning during delivery.

Ooooops, sorry bout that virus......

Hopefully the recipients have an email appliance in this scenario.

Regards,

Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p. 952.486.6802
w. helpsystems.com

message: 2
date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 17:20:40 -0300
from: Raul A Jager W <raul@xxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Email direct from IBM i without relay

I think that for the i to send a mail with a virus the programmer will have to intentionally attach an infected file.

No virus will get itself into the mail, because PC virus do not execute in the i. And the list of i specific virus is...