On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 1:27 PM, Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Frank Soltis explains in various writings that JOBS running in the native
virtual machine (using single-level store) require only 1 machine
instruction known as a branch in order to switch between concurrently
running JOBs or threads. Other operating / virtual machine environments may
require a thousand or more machine instructions to do the same.

One thousand (or more) machine instructions to one, in order to perform
task swapping is a material distinction in my book.

​I'm familiar with the section of the "Inside the AS/400" book where Dr.
Soltis discusses the number of steps it takes to switch tasks. I don't
have the book handy right now, however I recall him comparing OS/400 to
AIX. Not OS/400 to PASE.

The AIX kernel handles task switching, but PASE doesn't include the AIX
kernel.

AFAIK, task switching in IBM i is handle by SLIC for "native" or PASE apps.

Charles