It turns out it WAS somehow related to DNS settings.

But I don't entirely understand what the customer (or maybe their TCP consultant?) said:

Their CFGTCP option 12 shows *LOCAL host name search priority.
Since [redacted] is in the host table, the OS should
not be querying the remote DNS. Even so, I tested the configured
DNS’s to see if they are responding to queries. I found [redacted]
is a valid host (responds to PING), but does not respond to NSLOOKUP
requests. I am removing it from the list.

The BIRT reports now respond at normal speed.

But if search priority is set to *LOCAL, (which it is), and the domain was in the host table (which it is), then why would it have even made a difference if there was a bad DNS address listed?

--
JHHL