From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Alasdair Simpson
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2017 1:20 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: SSL certificates for applications

Hi

I am not sure if we do REQUIRE both, I just know that an external auditor has determined that the data travelling between two internal servers should be encrypted.

As far as I know, with one of those servers being an iSeries, that can only be achieved by using SSL to secure the specific application which transfers the data (the iSeries calls a web service running on the other server and parses the results).

|From what we have experienced with Third parties like Experian, we define an application on the iSeries and the Third party issues us with a Server or Client level certificate which we import into the DCM *SYSTEM store and then link to the application name we have defined. They (the third party) handle the certification on the other server.

Because in this instance both servers are ours, we don't not really know how to go about asking for the relevant certificates or generating them.

We have tried using the DCM to create a local CA and then a Server or Client level certificate from that, but we then cannot import that certificate into a windows environment to decrypt at the other end.
If we create a CA certificate on Windows, we can import that into the iSeries DCM, but can't attach it to an application because it is the wrong level.

Is there some extra step I'm missing?