I would like it to work as it would be a simple solution.
Both pattycsv.csv and pattcsv5.csv --- thought I was on to something here. Sometimes they are 819 and sometimes they are 1208 Don't know why

If I look at pattycsv5.csv and pattcsv.csv, I see 0D0A at the end of each line,
Then I perform a touch on pattynew.csv
Run the command as you have it below and when I look at pattynew.csv
Its now 0A at the end of each line.

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Yeung
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2016 10:56 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: merging 2 .csv files

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 10:13 AM, Smith, Mike <Mike_Smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi John,
Yes I tried Mark's suggestion, I could make them concatenate, but would lose the Carriage return when the file merged.

Very frustrating, but I still have to believe cat can be made to work somehow.

You said that when you did this:

cat /pdfflr/pattycsv.csv /pdfflr/pattycsv5.csv > /pdfflr/pattynew.csv

the resulting file was CCSID 37. This is what I have noticed on my system as well.

However, I was able to get the desired result by using either CPY afterwards (as you said you tried originally) or touch -C beforehand (with the exact same cat command as above). In either case, the final CCSID is correct and I have all my line breaks. So I am very confident it can be done, and done easily with no additional "programming" to speak of.

What CCSID are pattycsv.csv and pattycsv5.csv? Are you using a one-byte line break or two-byte? What was the exact CPY command you tried?

John