From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pete
Helgren
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:04 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Cranky LTO tape drive

Worth a try. Right now the drive is assigned to my second LPAR. Not sure if
I'd have to bounce the whole BladeCenter chassis to reset something. I just
IPL'd my first partition a day or so ago so I might try assigning the tape
to the first LPAR and see if I get the same result...

So, this is a JS12 on a BC-S that also has 3 HS21's in it. The original
"down time" goal was to back up each partition and the then back up the
storage used by the SAS Storage modules and then blow away the SAS storage
and reconfigure it *correctly* this time and then restore the
data. Tape seemed the safest way to go. I know I can back up the
VM's on the HS21's without tape but it was the IBM i partitions and the VIOS
configuration that was most problematic.

I have one 7.1 LPAR and one 7.2 LPAR on this Power 6 Blade and if I could
use Virtual Tape to save AND restore the entire system, I might head that
direction, although tape would be my preference.

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java
Twitter - Sys_i_Geek IBM_i_Geek