On Thu, 2016-12-15 at 14:39 +0000, Richard Schoen wrote:
Maybe if you're talking about Windows or an operating system it's on Microsoft.

However the .Net Core Framework is an open source development platform like PHP, Ruby, Node, etc.

IBM Rochester could very easily pick it up and port it to run in PASE.

Linux did try... with mono... but it had so many problems it didn't
really do the job properly. Like most things MS they tended to add
stuff, change stuff, and failed to document stuff. So while the "base"
could be kind copied, all the other stuff was - in effect - undocumented
bundling which was needed to support x-platform compatibility but was
not officially part of the product... it was hitting a moving target.

That said, now they have done the code for linux (.NET core and ASP.NET
V1 released 28/June/2016) it "may" be possible for IBM to look at it
further... but why as its still far to fluid a target.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/28/microsoft_releases_crossplatform_net_core_10_at_linux_event/

You're right that running on a Linux partition might work, but if that's the case why not Windows since that already works just fine.

I was embarrassed to hear Tim Rowe speak at WMCPA last spring and he couldn't even mention Microsoft by name in front of a room of young development students who are in the Microsoft programs.

Tim gave a it a little lip service earlier this year to .Net core, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm currently porting my XMLSERVICE wrapper to C# so it will run in .Net Core or in Xamarin Mobile apps for anyone who is interested in mlti-platform .Net development.

It will work everywhere except natively on IBM i. Bummer :-(

Regards,

Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p. 952.486.6802
w. helpsystems.com

------------------------------

message: 2
date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 07:02:20 -0600
from: Jim Oberholtzer <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: Visual Studio for Mac

Richard,

It's not Rochester that's the problem it's Microsoft. Ask them why they
will not support windows running on POWER. There's no technical reason it
couldn't. The other problem is the customer base. They are not asking for
Windows to run on POWER (and willing to pay for it) either.

Since there is a version of Studio that runs on MAC and Ubuntu is supported
under Windows 10, then maybe it's a short jump to supporting one of the
LINUX distributions that run on POWER. That's on Microsoft, not IBM.