I don't think you're missing anything, Nathan. I've said the same thing
for over 20 years.

Customers want spooled files converted to excel, csv or some other data
format. That's like taking a photograph of your daughter and asking it
what she had for supper. There's no "data", just a picture of the data.
Spooled files I feel are the same... a snapshot of your data, not actual
data.

But, trust me, using spooled files as "data" is used a VERY often in our
world, even though creating a PF from a query or program to get real data
isn't too difficult.

Yes, my SPLTOOL product will create a column delimited file that can be
imported to excel (stripping out headers as long as they're on the same
lines on each page). But most of the time I also suggest that they try
creating a PF instead and copying that to an ISV file.

Brad
www.bvstools.com