On 14-Oct-2016 12:02 -0500, CRPence wrote:
On 14-Oct-2016 10:56 -0500, David Gibbs wrote:
On 10/14/2016 10:51 AM, Sue Romano wrote:
I can explain this one. All SQL names can be up to 128 long when
delimiters are removed. For any " in a name, the delimited form
of the name must have that character doubled. So you could have
a name with 128 " characters. To use that name in an SQL
statement, you would need to double each of the " and then add
delimiters on the outside - for a total of 258 " characters.

I do not recall any enablement of escaped <ed: double-quote>
delimiters on the Command Language (CL), so I am unsure how that
would work; separately delimiting the <ed: double-quote>
delimited-identifier <ed: with apostrophes as delimiter> will just
keep the extra double-quote as escape-character as part of the name.
While the SQL requires the double-quote to be escaped, the name that
gets stored has not been stripped of the <ed: double> quotes used as
escape-characters, so I doubt that has ever functioned properly;
something I never tested for.

Note: I added some edits <ed:> into the above quoted text of my prior reply, to clarify about which delimiters I was writing.

I should have been clearer, that the above reference to the "the name that gets stored" with the double-quote as escape character left embedded, was what was *stored in the file definition*. That I suppose is moot, with regard to OS function; i.e. no impact on operations such as DROP TRIGGER. And, stored that way, allows the retrieved value to be processed again from the command-line in a TRG() or as the identifier specified on the CREATE TRIGGER, so certainly that has "functioned properly" from that perspective. I was mistakenly thinking that the value stored in the file should have matched the value stored in the catalogs. As it is, for the value of the trigger-name as retrieved from the file, whilst that can be used on a CREATE TRIGGER or TRG parm specification, that value would have to be de-delimited for use on a query of the catalogs.