From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Buck
Calabro
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 4:45 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Suggetions on labeling all items for a rack reloaction to
newrack in new data center

On 8/25/2016 4:51 PM, Booth Martin wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/hqedpdv

Item level: 15 items, 15 colors. Buy 15 rolls of flagging tape, one for
each item. Wrap each cable end by that item's color tape.

Cable level: use unique flagging tape for each matching plug & socket on
each item.

Result: every item has a unique color and each cable end has the
matching color. Within each Item group, each cable's secondary flagging
color mates to it's matching connector.

My ham radio club does something similar with our field equipment.
Something on the order of a hundred cables going to 3 different trucks
and 12 antenna towers. We use coloured electrical tape, and put the
matching colour on the equipment as well as the cable near the
connector. We use the resistor colour code.