From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rob Berendt
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2016 10:49 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Backup to DISK using BRMS

My boss did the brand determination. IDK how much of that was based on BP recommendations.
We didn't dive right in. We did price comparisons a few times and would shelve it for a year or two and redo it later.
We did a trial of one beta system from someone and pitched that one out the door. Rest of that is NDA.
When we did purchase our EMC Data Domain 2500's it was with the right to return it within x days if we weren't happy. That took some negotiation.
Other than some quirky stuff with multivolume DUPMEDBRM's converting from physical we're pretty happy with what we have.
I've had a lot of support time with EMC and I'm happy with them.

As far as size calculations our BP had this spreadsheet with a bunch of questions that we had to fill out with stuff like
- How much IFS vs DB2? (There's a huge compression difference.)
- Retention
and a lot of other stuff.

I have some speed comparisons of LTO4 vs VTL that I've previously published but not LTO 7.
Have you already upgraded to LTO 7 or is VTL what you're looking at as an alternative?

I have one gentleman at IBM who finds it really hard to believe my VTL speeds. My only out for his incredularity is that the people that he's known using VTL must have used remote VTL's at an offsite data center connected with two Dixie cups and a string.

My published speeds are probably in the archives here and are also at the BRMS community at
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/forum?id=80c9a337-eb68-4b0c-9845-56ce7d3543b1&ps=25