Look at the DDS keyword PROTECT. It will do just that at the record level, but it won't help with the underline issue.

Roger Harman

COMMON Certified Application Developer - ILE RPG on IBM i on Power

________________________________
From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Stone, Joel <Joel.Stone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2016 3:20 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: DDS screen design: how to use one screen for both display AND update

Building a SINGLE screen for both update AND display of a cust record.

What is a good method to use ONE DDS record format for both UPDATE and DISPLAY.

For DISPLAY, I want the field protected and NO underline showing.

For UPDATE, I want the field unprotected with underline showing.

If the CUSTNAME field has usage "B" = both, how can I suppress the underline for DISPLAY?

(There is no DSPATR for removing the underlines).

I thought that CHGINPDFT might do the trick. However I cannot condition that on the mode DISPLAY or UPDATE.

Is the best method to describe each field twice?

For example

41 CUSTNAME B
N41 CUSTNAME O

It seems sloppy - any better ideas?