On 07-Jul-2016 11:31 -0500, dlclark wrote:
On 07-Jul-2016 07:35 -0500, Justin Taylor wrote:
IIRC, CHGQRYA requires job control authority, so that's not a
practical solution. […]

Somebody can correct me I'm incorrect. But, my understanding is that
CHGQRYA is only required for ease of implementing different QAQQINI
settings at different times for the same job (or session).

More typically, as settings across different jobs.

Meaning: There are two different ways to implement different QAQQINI
setups that don't require the use of CHGQRYA. For either of these to
work, of course, there can be no default QAQQINI setups in the
system portion of the library list.

The default QAQQINI is singular; there can be only one, either the INI file that is active, or the default. There is always the model-copy in QSYS, and there [generally should not be, but may be] a copy in QUSRSYS that serves as the one _default_ settings.

Note: The effect of CHGQRYA may be by an alternate implementation than the use of the command itself; e.g. as a connection-string setting.

One way is to create multiple QAQQINI setups in different libraries
and include the selected library in the library list for the job that
needs a particular QAQQINI setup.

The Library List (LIBL), system-portion or otherwise, is moot; the feature requires the explicit specification of a library name only, no special values [except *SAME which of course means to leave the current setting\value unchanged].

The other way is to have multiple QAQQINI setups with different names
in the same library (QUSRSYS, for example) and then the job that
needs a particular setup copies the selected xxxQAQQINI setup to
QTEMP and renames it to QAQQINI so that it will be picked up by the
query in question.

I expect more likely\typically, different variations of QAQQINI would be created with that file name into specific libraries to ease the specification of redirection to that version, by naming the QRYOPTLIB() without any pre-requisite copying\naming of that file.

Change Query Attributes (CHGQRYA) will be implicitly in effect *only* for the _default_ Query Options File Library (QRYOPTLIB) of QUSRSYS; i.e. upon existence of the properly-created file QAQQINI in QUSRSYS, for which the effects of the QQPARM and the corresponding QQVAL are globally in effect [across all jobs], just as if every setting were instead available as a System Value -- of which, there are only some two or a few values, including:
• QQRYDEGREE *SYSCTL Parallel processing degree
• QQRYTIMLMT *SYSCTL Query processing time limit

Only those jobs in which the QRYOPTLIB is set\changed [optionally via the procedure QSYS2.override_qaqqini() vs the CHGQRYA command], will the effects be specific to that job; having redirected the query engine to look elsewhere for the parms\value pairs, those values that otherwise would be obtained from the file in QUSRSYS would instead be obtained from the lib_name/QAQQINI in the redirected-to library-name.

I recommend against creating a copy of the file in QUSRSYS except when necessary to implement a specific value-pair as a[n effective] circumvention; that the INI settings should be established only in jobs for which there is a known\specific reason. Notably but highly improbable to be experienced, though I have seen this happen, whereby because every database open [query or non-query open] refers to the INI file, that when there is a difficulty to open the INI file that is exhibited as a failure to open, the system [being highly integrated and dependent upon the function of the database] is quite near dead-in-the-water -- as well, quite conspicuously, there is little reason to open the file [at least once] in every job if not for a legitimate purpose. I am unsure if a general monitor\handler for access to the INI file has been coded\verified to avoid the past grand problem I had experienced.