Read the <expletive deleted> link that started this whole thread.

In it, or one of it's child links, it states something the effect of:
there is never a requirement between a level of HMC code and a level of
IBM i.

But, it also states something to the effect of:
There is a list of firmware requirements based on the level of IBM i
And then it proceeds to show you what those are.

Now, there is a link somewhere in there that says what level of HMC code
supports which level of firmware.

So if there is a relationship between which levels of firmware support
which levels of IBM i,
and there's a relationship between which levels of HMC code support which
levels of firmware,
then there is a very indirect link to what levels of HMC code support
which levels of IBM i

I would see what level of firmware you have on your power 7 and take it up
to the maximum that HMC 7.7.9 will support. If that level of firmware is
also supported by 7.7.8 then it's up to you to decide whether or not to
upgrade your HMC.

There is something else you may, or may not, care about. Various browsers
require certain levels of SSL. Older versions of HMC don't play well
newer versions of SSL. This is another good reason to stay current.
We get a security ding if we support older versions of SSL.

Make sure that you do NOT have your firmware controlled by PTF. No shop
with an HMC ever should. There is a high risk then of getting firmware so
new that your HMC can no longer control the rack.
Newer versions of the OS have a command called DSPFMWSTS. Make sure it
reports:
Firmware update policy . . . . . . . . . . : *HMC

You can find levels of firmware at fix central. I've upgraded the
firmware on a couple of racks this week.