From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Thomas Garvey
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 10:36 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: HMC compatibility

I just uncovered that I can't upgrade my HMC from Version 7.7.8 to
Version 8.8.1 because it does not allow my HMC to manage my Power5
server (which has two partitions)

It looks like I could upgrade the HMC from Version 7.7.8 to 7.7.9 but I
wonder if it's prudent. I don't know if the upgrade will gain me
anything but headaches as I must do it remotely and the instructions
warn it will mess up remote access.

So, I have my HMC now frozen in time, and my Power5 is also frozen at
v5r4 and v5r3, but I do have a Power7 also managed by the HMC. It's
currently at v7r1 TR7.
My plan was to upgrade my v7r1 partition to the latest TR (which I
believe is TR12? Anybody?) and then create a new partition on the
Power7 to install v7r3.
I have to maintain OS versions to support clients and I'm thinking this
is the best way to do it and still get the latest version of OS to test
our stuff on (and learn new stuff).

But now I'm wondering what the HMC version limitations will have on my
OS upgrade plans.

Is there ever a requirement that the HMC be at a certain version to
manage a server at a certain OS level?
That is, can my frozen in time HMC still manage my Power7?
For instance, can the HMC create the new partition I was planning? Can
the HMC be used to update the firmware on my Power7? (My HMC is set to
do the server firmware update from the HMC).
Would I have to change that HMC server update setting (and must that
setting be the same for all servers the HMC manages?)

Insight or suggestions would be welcome.