I guess I have a simple mind too. The VERY first thought that popped into my head was a linked list. With a doubly linked list you could traverse it either direction and insert/delete for stops is easy.

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Vernon Hamberg
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2016 2:42 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Layout of "Itinerary" Record - A Database Design Question

Hi Nathan

A quick thought, with this assumption - you cannot break out of the itinerary - that is, if it is A->B->C->D, you can't go back from C to A or from D to B.

I think the 2nd option works for flexibility - basically implement a a linked list. This would let you easily present the itinerary in either mode you described, #1 showing both "outbound" and "inbound", #2 showing only "outbound"

I realize this is VERRRRRY simple-minded - maybe it'll help organize or stir thoughts.

Cheers
Vern