Rob,

Thanks for the information.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Rob Berendt
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 7:06 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: My first Rack wiring - Power8

Do not get a keyboard and monitor for your HMC. Waste of money if
you're using a KVM. If you've already ordered it then just hook them
up to the KVM instead.

Don't buy an old used KVM. Get one that can still get firmware
revisions.
We had to replace our KVM's once because their firmware was too old
and incapable of being upgraded. This caused a real issue with remote
access to the KVM and all the clients having too new of a Java version
and the KVM wouldn't let them connect anymore.

Sounds like you're trying to do it right the first time. Always best
that way. I've discovered that there's no such thing as a temporary
cable.
Once it's hooked up it's deemed too disruptive to recable it.

While it's gotten better I don't consider our setup a "model to
emulate".
No picture will be forthcoming.

IBM Certified System Administrator - IBM i 6.1 Group Dekko Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E