Do not get a keyboard and monitor for your HMC. Waste of money if you're
using a KVM. If you've already ordered it then just hook them up to the
KVM instead.

Don't buy an old used KVM. Get one that can still get firmware revisions.
We had to replace our KVM's once because their firmware was too old and
incapable of being upgraded. This caused a real issue with remote access
to the KVM and all the clients having too new of a Java version and the
KVM wouldn't let them connect anymore.

Sounds like you're trying to do it right the first time. Always best that
way. I've discovered that there's no such thing as a temporary cable.
Once it's hooked up it's deemed too disruptive to recable it.

While it's gotten better I don't consider our setup a "model to emulate".
No picture will be forthcoming.