From: John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 05/09/2016 03:06 PM
Subject: Re: Error RNQ0202 HSSFR4 HSSF_GETSH

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 2:57 PM, Mark Murphy/STAR BASE Consulting Inc.
<mmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes there are a few versions of Java available, but you can really
narrow that down to 6, 7, and 8 with 6 going away, and 9 on deck. If you
are still stuck on Java 4 or 5, well good luck. Kinda like being stuck at
IBM i v5.3 or earlier.

Well, there was no such thing as Java 4. Java 5 was a renaming of Java
1.5 (with the previous "major" version being 1.4). But whatever,
that's not important.

The point is, there are actual shops out there with either old Java
versions, or multiple Java versions. You see people struggling with
getting software to use the correct specific Java version on systems
with more than one.

That kind of struggle doesn't exist with iSeriesPython.

We can't worry about those guys, they probably have more issues than
having to upgrade just to create an Excel spreadsheet.

I completely disagree with the spirit of that statement. Yes, if
you're still on V4R4, you have some serious issues. Not being able to
generate an Excel spreadsheet is certainly not one of the more serious
ones. But turn it around: What kind of effort is involved in "fixing"
the problem of being on too-old an OS? What *should* the effort be?
Conceptually, it's very reasonable to expect that such a massive
overhaul of the system is going to be difficult and disruptive. But
what kind of effort *should* be involved in being able to add Excel
capability? It turns out that if you have a Windows 95 machine, you
can just download an old version of Python and an old version of xlwt
and you are in business. Yes, yes, yes, of course, yes, if you are on
Windows 95, you have serious problems that go way beyond whether you
can create an Excel file. But that doesn't mean you have to solve all
of those other problems JUST so that you can create an Excel file!

Even with all it's activity, the POI project does not generate Excel
spreadsheets for anything newer than Excel 2010 (but newer versions can
certainly read them).

I'm not sure what you mean by "newer than Excel 2010". There is
something called "ISO/IEC 29500 Strict" which is supported by Excel
2013 but not 2010, but this is quite an obscure distinction in
practical, real-world terms. There was a big break between the binary
BIFF formats (default extension .xls) versus the zipped, XML-based
formats that followed (default extension .xlsx, introduced with Excel
2007), but POI supports those, and they are still the dominant format.

John Y.