Pete,

I don't use directory entries. I try to stay away from any of that
proprietary system stuff. Especially for email. I haven't use IBM's SMTP
*cough* system for years.

The only thing I save that's from the "system" are my HTTP configs in
library QUSRSYS (QATMHINSTC all members). Anything else I use (JOBDs, etc)
are saved in user libraries and IFS directories (my own, not IBMs) and
restored if needed.

TCPIP settings take minutes to set up. Point it to your firewall, create
the interfaces for my web servers (I run each on their own IP), start them
and go. And of course, set up DNS properly in CFGTCP option 12... an often
overlooked setup for most customer's systems I've worked on.

I don't use host table entries unless needed... so a max of 1 for the
system name. I do have one other for internal web services so I can point
that to any system I want if needed. But what's that? Another 30 seconds?

Like my PC, I want to make it so that if it blows up, I can get a new piece
of hardware and OS and restore and be up and running in less than a few
hours.

Honestly, it takes longer for me to set up a new PC than the IBM i. I've
done it at least 5 times on each.

Brad
www.bvstools.com

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 8:59 AM, Pete Massiello - ML <