An update:

From the IBM Web site:
<snip>
" Download Director has detected that those files exist in a different
directory, which was its target directory for a previous download. When
that happens, Download Director will not download the files again.

This might cause problems during the installation of the downloaded
software. Options:

If you no longer need the previously downloaded file you can safely
delete it from the original target directory. This will cause it to get
downloaded again.
Copy the "Already downloaded" files to the new target directory before
or after the DD applet executes."
</snip>

So, IT DOES search other directories if you have used that directory before
in a prior download. It claims to only load a file called "dlmgr.pro" onto
your system, and when I looked I found one there, pointing to a V5R4
directory (you can guess how long ago I did that) as the initial directory.
So now I'm not sure how it figures it out. When I downloaded V7R3 it was
into a brand new directory that did not exist 15 seconds before I started
download director, so while it claims to only check for downloaded file in a
previously used directory, it lies. It checks the entire drive letter.

Why is this a problem? For instance PowerHA was not refreshed so V7R2 is
the latest version, sobeit. (it was updated with TRs and PTFs) If you want
a complete list of the software at one specific version, then you have to
cobble together all the files. Too much room for real trouble.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects