This is a general issue in the IT world - "you must update"... which will make us some headaches in all the infrastructure stuff.

As we run older and old hardware for customers (yes, there still are people bound to software running on V3R2, dont ask),
which also affects FC switches or old SVC releases (we run PPC Macs just for administration of some IBM 21xx switches).
On the other hand, the windows PCs nag with "go to W10" messages, each software vendor drops in urgent update notices etc...

Some people are confused or just do not want to follow that track. Last year, i talked with about 500 small customers here in germany, which have less than 50 people but run an AS400 or IBM i about going to new hardware, new release etc.
Their main exclude to not doing so is: "Our Power5 box is fast enough. Software vendor asks for lots of $$$ for update. We plan to move away from AS400. Noone here knowing about that system. Current (old) software does everything we want..." The mainstream windows systems are on the same level (running Win2000, XP, W2k3).

But in the end - these customers are happy with what they have; they can operate their business. And if they do not get vendor support for operating system, they will find people to support old AS/400 boxes as well as people supporting WinXP environments.

So in the end - it's not always just an easy task to update the whole environment and every infrastructure component, and one needs to discuss with the customer why they need to upgrade component Y because update of component X because of update of component Z...

Anyway - we can support and earn money with both types of customers ;-)

-h

Subject: Re: IBM i Strategy and Roadmap

Absolutely! This is biting us with HMCs and SWitches and and and.
Suddenly Chrome has just told me "Sorry Doc, can't talk to that switch no more." So now for us Admins that means keeping ancient VMs on our equipment to maintain ahem, 'older', equipment. When it affects every user in the enterprise that's not an option!