Are these users going to only change/delete files they created, or others
also?
For example, if you called this directory /StorageDirectory
SAM creates /StorageDirectory/samsfile.txt
MARY creates /StorageDirectory/marysfile.txt
And SAM can update and delete samsfile.txt but not marysfile.txt and vice
versa? If so, then look at CHGATR ATR(*RSTDRNMUNL). IBM defaults /tmp to
this but if you want email to work everyone changes it.
You just have to ensure that neither SAM nor MARY create /StorageDirectory
itself.

A close alternative:
md '/StorageDirectory'
CHGAUT OBJ('/StorageDirectory') USER(*PUBLIC) DTAAUT(*RWX)
OBJAUT(*OBJREF)
crtusrprf dummy
edtf '/StorageDirectory/robfile.txt'

Sign on as dummy
rmvlnk '/StorageDirectory/robfile.txt'
CPFA09C Not authorized to object.
dspf '/StorageDirectory/robfile.txt'
works fine
edtf '/StorageDirectory/robfile.txt'
works fine
edtf '/StorageDirectory/dummyfile.txt'
creates new file and saves it
rmvlnk '/StorageDirectory/dummyfile.txt'
works fine

Start over as ROB, testing *OBJALTER
CHGAUT OBJ('/StorageDirectory') USER(*PUBLIC) DTAAUT(*RWX)
OBJAUT(*OBJALTER)
rmvlnk '/StorageDirectory/*'
edtf '/StorageDirectory/robfile.txt'
Sign on as DUMMY
rmvlnk '/StorageDirectory/robfile.txt'
Not authorized to object.

Start over as ROB, testing *OBJMGT
CHGAUT OBJ('/StorageDirectory') USER(*PUBLIC) DTAAUT(*RWX)
OBJAUT(*OBJMGT)
rmvlnk '/StorageDirectory/*'
edtf '/StorageDirectory/robfile.txt'
Sign on as DUMMY
rmvlnk '/StorageDirectory/robfile.txt'
Not authorized to object.

Start over as ROB, testing *OBJEXIST
CHGAUT OBJ('/StorageDirectory') USER(*PUBLIC) DTAAUT(*RWX)
OBJAUT(*OBJEXIST)
rmvlnk '/StorageDirectory/*'
edtf '/StorageDirectory/robfile.txt'
Sign on as DUMMY
rmvlnk '/StorageDirectory/robfile.txt'
CPCA089 - Link removed.
RMVLNK '/StorageDirectory'
CPFA0B1 Requested operation not allowed. Access problem.
edtf '/StorageDirectory/dummyfile.txt'
works fine
rmvlnk '/StorageDirectory/dummyfile.txt'
works fine
Sign off as dummy and back as ROB
md '/sd2'
dspaut '/sd2'
Data --Object Authorities--
User Authority Exist Mgt Alter Ref
*PUBLIC *RWX X X X X
dspaut '/StorageDirectory'
Data --Object Authorities--
User Authority Exist Mgt Alter Ref
*PUBLIC *RWX X

I think you want *OBJEXIST on the directory and only *OBJEXIST on the
directory