If that works, then that is perfectly acceptable.

In our world it would be a tape library, not a device.
The tape library would be hosted by VIOS.
It would then be guested out to the lpars of IBM i.
Each guested lpar wouldn't need to worry about varying it off/on.
Depending on how many drives the library had you might be able to run the
backups at the same time. Otherwise, you'd just stagger the timing.

Now, if the first lpar takes too long, or can only be down from x to y and
that also happens to be the only time that the second lpar can be down
then you might consider creating a virtual tape and backup to that and get
that moved over to the other lpar or something for the movement to
physical tape. But newer tape drives are often faster than disk. Mainly
because you're not doing the reading and writing to the same disk drives.