The funny thing is, transaction files are the ones most likely to get a
"runaway". State tables and stuff like that are the most unlikely. So,
on the high risk candidates you specify *NOMAX but on the low risk you
specify a limit. In your case I guess I would just use *NOMAX on
everything; since the risk of a runaway on those tables are unlikely and
is clearly outweighed by the risk of filling the file (ie you bought a
division overseas and added all their territory codes).
Then, about the only place a *NOMAX would make sense is if you loaded the
entire file into an array, set to the current size of the file. To add a
row to that table requires that you modify, and recompile, the program.
But what would end up happening is that everyone would forget the reason
why, change the file description, add the row and have the program blow
up, then recompile the program. So better to fight one fire and get back
up and running faster than to drag on the errors. Use *NOMAX.

This is such an infestimally small thing to compromise on to get the
darkside to cooperate with you.

As far as your DDS, I would consider changing the command defaults to
*nomax. IOW change it from
CRTPF SIZE(10000 1000 3)
CRTPF SIZE(*NOMAX)