We have taken a different approach since our security auditor said we had to update every month. Step 1: the last week of the month we check the current group PTF levels on the IBM site and log the level numbers for each in a new column on our Group spreadsheet. Step 2: we call IBM and read off all the updated groups (included a CUM last month). Step 3: we receive DVDs in 2-3 days and manually load them into an image catalog on one partition (this is the most time consuming step - about 15 minutes). Step 4: we run a script that duplicates the image catalog on five other partitions automatically. Step 5: we change a startup data area to "PTF" and enter a Go Save 21 to run at 1:00am the first Saturday of the month. Step 6: after the backup finishes later Sat morning, the system runs our version of QSTRUP which marks all temporary PTFs to be applied permanently, IPLs the system to do this, then loads the new groups from the image catalog and IPLs again, changes the data area back to 'Normal', then cleans up the image catalog. All this happens unattended early Saturday morning while we are asleep.

This procedure is the most automated and by far the least time consuming on our part. We love it.

Phil