On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 9:21 AM Kevin Bucknum <Kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

DB2 Connect on the IBM i is a licensed product. It speaks DRDA directly
to the database. <snip/>

It's a vague memory, but I remember
having a trial license for 30 days, and the DB2 Connect was about 3-4
times faster than the odbc driver that IBM provides in client access,
and about 5 times faster than the jdbc driver in JTOPEN.

Ok so a quick google and skim of DRDA indicates in addition to the speed
benefit, you might be able to do some kind of multi tiered database setup.

Regardless, its a well tuned remote database access protocol that
communicates over TCP/IP with an expensive price tag. My first thought is
there are third party commercial ODBC drivers out there. Are any of them
noted for being close to DB2Connect level performance? I would imagine that
one could make a nice bit of profit by getting to 90% the performance of
DB2/connect for less than 90% of the cost. Then again, it could be that you
just needed to tune something in the ODBC or JDBC connection.

Justin

This thread ...