On 11/4/2015 10:39 AM, Vernon Hamberg wrote:
SAVFs have some signature stuff at the head - of course, they are in
EBCDIC - but there should be some commonality amongst them - I look
at them in Textpad in hex format sometimes.

I looked at 4 of them and find at position x1085 this string -
QSRDSSPC - and at position 21 I see the model of the machine on which
the SAVF was created, I assume. There's other stuff that seems to be
the same across the 4, other stuff seems to be size overall or number
of rows, whatever.

Thanks Vern ... you confirmed what I had already discovered. I used the information on the linux file command.

The 'magic' database that the file command uses also indicates that the QSRDSSPC is prefixed by 0x19 & 0xDB.

I wasn't 100% sure that the offset of the prefix & QSRDSSPC text was static, so I just loaded the first 16k of the file and search for that sequence. For my purposes, this is sufficient.

david

This thread ...