I can't resist mentioning cautions here.

Clearly you cannot use such a backup for a system recovery. Should you consider a backup of this type sufficient for this that would put your business at severe risk.

Restoring anything from this could take significant time. This may be especially true if you are in a DR Recovery scenario with limited internet connectivity.

Documentation on EXACTLY how to restore this would be mandatory because with such a thing there are many steps and they are NOT the norm for IBM i administrators. Remember that in a true disaster many CIOs and CEOs make the assumption that their staff is also unavailable whether that's because they are incapacitated themselves or they are off helping their families. If this restore is handed to someone not thoroughly familiar with the process, absolutely clear documentation is mandatory.

IMHO this is only valid as a just in case off-site backup, not a production level or true D/R level backup.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com