On 10/14/2015 4:59 PM, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
The manuals are full of examples of adjusting the POSITION of a field
according to the active display size. But I can't find ANYTHING about
either adjusting the field LENGTH according to the active display size,
or selecting an alternate RECORD according to the active display size.

I think you are asking how your program can tell what size display it's
operating with. The File Information Data Structure knows that. See
columns 67 - 70

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_72/rzasd/flfeed.htm%23flfeed?lang=en

If we can alter the field length on the fly, that's news to me.

Two record formats has the ugly problem of naming the fields in such a
way that they're easy to deal with in the HLL.

If at all possible, I'd go with the maximum size field, put it in a
subfile and use SFLFOLD/SFLDROP.