Ok, I think I have it figured out how to upgrade firmware from your HMC
hard drive without getting:
HSCF0050 - The repository does not contain any applicable upgrade updates.

First of the sole use of Fix Central in this operation is to verify the
right level of firmware you want for the machine you are upgrading. Search
fix central for the level but don't actually download it.

Next on the HMC follow these steps. This may require a lot of faith in me
but, trust me, there is an escape before you drop your system beforehand.

Updates.
Pick a rack.
Select the appropriate option below. For example "Upgrade Licensed
Internal Code to a new release".
Select ok for "Licensed Internal Code Readiness check found no errors for
the following targets:"
Pick "IBM service web site".
I was then presented with both FW830.10 (068) AND FW830.00 (048). I
selected: "01SV830 FW830.10 (068)".
Carefully select "Delay power off with confirmation (shortest system down
time)".
Accept the " IBM License Agreement for Machine Code ".
On a big leap of faith take "Click OK to start the disruptive operation,
otherwise click Cancel. HSCF0055"
Select ok on the "Current profile data backup files have been copied: "
screen.
Estimation to download and apply given was: Function duration time:
00:45:00. In my situation it took longer to type this sentence.
Carefully, very carefully, select Cancel on the "Click OK to continue
after all applications have been quiesced, otherwise click Cancel.
HSCF0107" screen.
You should get a screen which says "Failed; details are available". Select
Ok.
Next screen will say something like "Do you want to close the progress
window without viewing these additional details? ACT01512". Select Yes.

Start over with "Upgrade Licensed Internal Code to a new release".
Select ok for "Licensed Internal Code Readiness check found no errors for
the following targets:"
Pick "Hard drive".
You can now select "01SV830 FW830.10 (068)".

If you run your HMC with the "cones of silence" concept that it's ok for
everyone to get at manufacturing and payroll data but there ain't no way
in the firey depths that you'll let your HMC be on your network then you
may play heck downloading the firmware from "IBM service web site" first.
Connecting your HMC to a network to enable communicating with IBM is above
and beyond the scope of this thread.