On 09-Sep-2015 09:48 -0600, John McKee wrote:
<<SNIP>>
The job log shows my G response to the load next tape message.
IMMEDIATELY after that is System object TAP35 partially damaged.
Further down, it states VLOG identifier is *NONE. For recovery, it
states to delete and recreate the DEVD.
<<SNIP>>

Actually, the message reporting "Device description TAP35 damaged" did not give that recovery for what was diagnosed prior, in that specific scenario. The recovery for that error message [with symptom msgCPF8105 F/QRCPDMGN T/QTAVOPEN], per the preceding condition of "System object TAP35 partially damaged" [with symptom msgMCH1668 F/#cfdamst T/QTAVOPEN], is to vary-off and vary-on the device; the damage diagnosed was "partial", not "full"; despite possibly seemingly subtle distinction to other than an OS programmer, a distinction with a very consequential difference. Specifically, the message states:

"If *partial damage* occurred, vary off the device and vary the device on (VRYCFG command) again. The system may need to be powered down (PWRDWNSYS command) to vary off the device. If the system is powered down, do an initial program load (IPL) of the system. If partial damage is indicated on a 9347 Tape Unit, determine if it was processing a 3600 foot tape. A 9347 Tape Unit can only process up to 2400 foot tapes."

FWiW, the context given for the delete\recreate recovery was different; only for a prior logged condition of "full" damage, for which the only recovery is deletion of the full-damaged object, per the text:

"If *full damage* occurred, delete the device description (DLTDEVD command), and do one of the following: -- Create the device description again with the appropriate create device command. -- Restore the configuration (RSTCFG command) from the save tape. The configuration must be restored from a tape that was saved using the Save System (SAVSYS) or Save Configuration (SAVCFG) commands. -- Restore the command source for the device description. The command source must have been saved using a previous Retrieve Configuration Source (RTVCFGSRC) command. Any associated controller descriptions may need to be deleted and created again."