I have changed the command as suggested and while I am now getting a log I
am not getting the desired information.

Using the following command;
scp '-i /home/sftpuser/.ssh/id_rsa'
'PREMXXXX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/IN/CCL-T-20150902.csv'
'/home/sftpuser/CCL-T-20150902.csv' >
/home/sftpuser/poslogn1.txt 2>&1

Provides this output.
************Beginning of data**************
Warning: Identity file /home/sftpuser/.ssh/id_rsa not accessible: No such
file or directory.
************End of Data********************

And the file is successfully received.

I can use -v or -vv or -vvv and the verbosity of the log increases with
each level.

What I want to achieve is to know;

Was the file retrieved successfully
If not -
a) Does the file to be retrieved exist ?
b) Was there a communication or authentication error
c) Something else

Even with verbose logging there is no error as such in the log if I use a
file name that does not exist

The following line is received if the transfer is successful
Sink: C0755 389 CCL-T-20150902.csv

The exit status is always 0 regardless if the file is found and
transferred, or the file is not found or if the communication connection
fails.

There can be times when the file to be retrieved does not exist and this
can be quite valid but at this stage I am unable to confirm this in any
logging I have been able to obtain from the process.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Thanks

Don Brown