From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2015 3:42 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IBM i licensing: DB2 IBM i vs non DB2 IBM i (aka "Application Server entitlement")

On our 8286-42A we are licensed for 9 processors of IBM i. Two of them are supposed to be the non DB2 part of IBM i and seven are DB2 IBM i.

I understand the "Application Server entitlement" is targeted for lpars
like:
- Dedicated hosts
- Straight Domino or WAS lpars
Of these, we have a few.

I am under the belief that a very limited amount of DB2 is permitted.

Trying to think what the technical aspects of that are.
- How do I flag a lpar with this "Application Server entitlement"? Is there a process to convert an existing lpar from DB2 to "Application Server entitlement"?
- Is it bad form to load 5770-ST1 also so that you can use STRSQL for occasional stuff like qsys2.user_info, qsys2.group_ptf_currency, querying a small table of backup history, etc?

Something about a 5770-SSV comes to mind but I can't get any hits searching for that.