On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 4:41 PM, <MichaelQuigley@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
No, the LF characters are missing (removed) at the end of every line. So
if there's 15 lines of data, the file is shortened an extra 15 bytes and
all the <CRLF> end-of-record delimiters are now simply <CR>. Strange, eh?

Yeah, that's strange.

It does reinforce my prejudice against using IBM system APIs for
stream file processing. I think my biggest blind spot in this area is
that I keep forgetting about Qshell and PASE. Unix-based tools were
designed specifically for this kind of stuff, and Buck points out a
really good example of this.

(I was a very happy Unix user and fan in college. I think I never took
Qshell seriously because (1) I was underexposed to it, and (2) there
were enough niggling differences between it and the Unix shells I was
used to that I never fully embraced it. And, if I'm being honest with
myself, I never really mastered Unix one-liners even in genuine Unix
environments.)

John Y.