Evan,

You don't have to start out with an empty iASP on the source, although if it
is empty the initial synch will be very fast. The target iASP is built when
you create the clusters and other objects for PowerHA. I'm not sure what
you're referring to when it says you can't add an iASP that exists to a
cluster. If that is the target iASP then yes that's true, but the source
can, and most likely will be there.

Yes the "Heartbeat" and "Replication" LANs need to be on different VLANS and
as isolated as practical. If the "Heartbeat" network (administrative)
loses communications for a short time PowerHA thinks there might be a
failure. The replication traffic needs to be isolated as well and should be
on a fairly beefy communications line. The cluster does not have to manage
the NICs but certainly there's no reason not to have them part of the
administrative domain.

The two problems I run into with PowerHA are first the communications line
between two locations does not have sufficient capacity and secondly not
enough CPU is allocated to PowerHA. If either of those two gets saturated
then the cluster starts to fall behind and will suspend to protect the
source system.

The initial synch happens when you create the target iASP using the PowerHA
commands to start the replication (I don't remember the exact command and
I'm not near a machine)

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect