On 16-Apr-2015 09:17 -0500, Sam_L wrote:
In Thunderbird, when I use "Write" to create a new message the
message is posted. And it ends up on Midrange.com.

To be clear, a copy of the message appears at archive.midrange.com; that is distinct from the news.midrange.com which apparently is no longer storing and serving new messages. Although, midrange.test accepted a message awhile ago, when I tried to test what error message Tb would give when I tried to post a message.

It fails if I use "Reply" on an existing post. It sets the reply
address to "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>" which fails
when I click "Send" with:

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:
5.5.4 Invalid Email address. Please check the message recipient
midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx and try again.

Though perhaps not conspicuous, Tb has both a /smart reply/ and a /reply/. In a newsgroup account, use /Followup/ rather than /Reply/ if the reply-feature<>smart-reply; the "smart reply" makes the /reply/ feature context-sensitive, making reply formulate a "To:" addressee while viewing an email message, and formulating a "Newsgroup:" addressee while viewing a newsgroup message.

Or... and I am not familiar with the particular error [but sure seems to be an addressee issue], but given the issue occurs only for Reply, another possible issue lies with the reply-to email address. Both the email address and the reply-to email address of the NNTP user must be accepted by gmane.org as authorized. Or, the reply-to email address should be omitted for a message submitted from the NNTP client.

Anyone know if this is a setting that I need to change In
Thunderbird?

I think the issue is the _addressee_ that is automatically composed by Tb when using the "Reply" feature. Again, use "Followup" instead; possibly reconfigure Tb to use the smart-reply icon on the toolbar if "I use 'Reply' on an existing post" implies clicking an icon on the toolbar. If instead the issue might be the reply-to address then...

In the /Account Settings/ for the newsgroup account established in Tb for news.gmane.org there is /identity/ information for that account; right-click->settings on the account-name [aka folder-name]. One setting is the /Email address/ and another is the /Reply-to address/. Either omit the latter, or ensure both addresses are the same as the email address used for the subscription established via your lists.midrange.com user; the reply-to email address could conceivably be another authorized-user at gmane.org, but if not an authorized user, surely that would cause problems according to the FAQ.

<<SNIP>>

---

For directions about disabling the above Avast "spamvertising":
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.general/ZnuM5EGOabo/rnMV1CU_vMYJ>