Rob,

I'll strongly argue that even 7 days is not sufficient data to establish a
trend or find performance issues. If you have a process that only runs once
a week, you don't have any comparison to see if the performance of that
function changed week to week. Month end processes present a similar
problem. Really I would like 90 days of collections stored on line but
nearly every customer I have balks at using that much storage for
performance collections so I get back to the 14/21 day retentions.

Keep as many days as you want, in the end it only matters if you run into a
program change, or other benchmark that you'll need the data in the event of
an issue. Now, if your backing the data up to a separate tape and actually
keep it all, that's the real desire, since we can just restore what we need
and to the evaluation.

As to the suggestion earlier to change the collection interval to 5 minutes,
I would agree that's a better number if you are zeroing in on a problem, but
it also increases the size of the collections by about double. Again they
are small, but for some reason folks get excited about the amount of storage
they use.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect