From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Steinmetz, Paul
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2015 10:44 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: certain Offline Converter Assemblies (OCA) in 5802 and 5877 I/O
drawers could be susceptible to a premature capacitor degradation condition

Just received this from our IBM CE.

Has anyone else received the same or similar?

Dear IBM Customer,

IBM continues to maintain a strong focus on quality and reliability of our
systems and servers. We monitor the availability of installed systems on
an on-going basis for improvement opportunities. We have determined that
certain Offline Converter Assemblies (OCA) in 5802 and 5877 I/O drawers
could be susceptible to a premature capacitor degradation condition that
might, in some cases, lead to a loss of OCA function. If the OCA loss
occurs during AC power-on of the I/O drawer, the drawer should still power
on as long as the redundant OCA is operational.

IBM Service will verify which OCAs currently installed in your 5802 and 5877
I/O drawers are affected and work with you to schedule a repair action at
your earliest convenience.

In order to maintain high quality standards, IBM is taking this proactive
no-charge action to minimize any unplanned impact to your business.

Your Power7 has been identified as one of several machines in the field that
may contain suspect power supplies in the 5877 expansion drawer. To
determine whether or not you have these suspect power supplies, please
follow the steps I've listed below. The steps must be run from the partition
that owns the expansion drawer, I believe in your case that would be your
VIO partition. I've attached the ECA336 client letter for your review.
Please feel free to give me a call if any of this information is unclear.

=>IOS
Query Drawer VPD - Note: You will utilize the IOHRIBADVPD macro to access
the drawer VPD:
a. Access the OS command line.
b. On the command line, enter the following command:
STRSST
Then press the Enter key.
c. Sign in with a service tool profile and password that has authority to
Display/Alter/Dump in SST.
d. Select Option 1 - Start a service tool, and press the Enter key.
e. Select Option 4 - Display/Alter/Dump, and press the Enter key.
...i. To view the data on the screen, select Option 1 - Display/Alter
storage, and press the Enter key.
...ii. To dump to a spooled file (for sending the data to IBM), select
Option 2 - Dump to printer, and press the Enter key.
f. Select Option 2 - Licensed Internal Code (LIC) data, and press the Enter
key.
g. Select Option 14 - Advanced analysis, and press the Enter key.
...i. On the Select Advanced Analysis Command screen, there is a list of
available advanced analysis macros (under the Command column).
...ii. Since IOHRIBADVPD is not listed, type 1 (Select) next to the top
blank line under the Command column.
...iii. In the blank line, type IOHRIBADVPD, and press the Enter key.
h. In the Options field, type -GA2 -ALL, and press the Enter key. This will
provide one output (if dumped).
i. If the output is to be spooled (See "Dump to printer" option above), the
spooled file name is QPCSMPRT.
j. Collect the output of the IOHRIBADVPD macro and reply to this note with
attachment.

Thank You
_____
Paul Steinmetz